Luis Suarez for Esport3 [x]
On his punishment after the Chiellini incident
- “I felt I had ruined my career. At first, I did not want anyone to know anything. I locked myself in with my family, but then I reflected, I apologized and felt liberated. But I was then afraid that I could cast [Barcelona] back because of the repercussion of the incident; I knew that could happen…”
- "[Following his Barcelona signing] I had to work in the gym, avoiding the cameras and paparazzi. They were difficult times because I felt no longer like a professional, like I was doing something wrong. I was hiding. But all that happened to me because of the mistake that I made, so I assume and accept all criticism.”
On his dream being fulfilled
- “When Pere [Guardiola, his agent] called me to tell me about the offer from Barcelona and that it was done, I began to cry. I could not believe all the support that the club was offering… I felt so happy for the commitment the club showed me.”
On his career
- "Shortly before I was with Ajax, I declined an offer of Brazilian football because I knew I wanted to come to Europe. Once I was with Ajax, I began learning."
- “Liverpool gave me a name, but Ajax was my school. I learned a lot there, technique and movements to do at the front.”
- “I am now fulfilling the dream of playing on the pitch where I always wanted to play. It also provides me the option to stay and live in Barcelona, with the love and support of my family. If I have the opportunity to retire here with the club, it would be the perfect career.”
On El Clasico
- “I am anxious and eager to play, but not obsessed. I can’t let myself imagine playing it because things like that can play tricks on you… But I do imagine myself with all my teammates, preparing for the game."
- "It’s not in my personality to ask the coach let me play that game. I do not dare tell Luis Enrique that I want to play at the Bernabeu.”
FC Barcelona is “More Than a Club” because it stands for so much more than just football. It stands for Catalunya’s battle for independence. It also stands for family, passion, humility and ambition. This club has something unique to it. No other club can compete with Barcelona’s excellence.